Tuesday, July 6, 2010

In The Beginning...

Mission Statement- Despite how juvenile this blog will undoubtedly be at times, it is intended to serve a greater purpose. As an avid baseball fan, I've noticed the growing rift between the average fan who chugs a beer and does a Ric Flair impression in the bleachers at Yankee Stadium and the executive who sits in a luxury box ordering security to remove said fan. It's a disconnect that has often been perpetuated by mainstream media, who seem to advocate for one side or the other, with little tolerance for the alternate opinion.

Of course, I'm talking about sabermetrics. The Major League Baseball teams of the 21st century slog through endless amounts of data, meticulous scouting reports, regression analysis, home/road splits, lefty/righty splits, WAR, BABIP, VORP, etc etc, while all the while the casual fan focuses on the classics: RBI, Runs, Batting Average. The disconnect is palpable and the worst part is no one seems intent on finding a peace between the two-sides.

Enter, this blog. It's purpose is bridge the gap between the opiate of the masses and the arcane. To try and help those who still own stock in the trolley find a new path, driving the hover-car. This blog is about where we've been, and where we're going. Creationists argue against evolution theory because it has gaps- I hope to fill a small gap that I believe is going unfilled. Why me? Because I'm relatively new to the baseball philosophies of today, just like many others. Yes, I was once like you, arguing that J.D. Drew was a terrible signing by Boston because he had had only one 100-RBI season. But I have begun my transition, and welcome many others to follow suit. There's a part in the movie "District 9" where the government/corporation/ some evil entity that I can't currently recall needs to kill and dissect the main character, because he is at the critical threshold between his humanity and becoming a prawn. I believe I am at that same point in my baseball fandom. So before I turn into Keith Law, allow me to kill and dissect myself, for you the reader, while there is still some Mike Francesa in me.

No comments:

Post a Comment